Choosing the best home builder in a big city like Houston can be overwhelming and daunting with so many options to choose from. You should shop for your custom home builder just as you would for a new home. Here are some tips to help you choose a reliable builder you can trust!
After all, this house will host your family’s memories for years to come! The right builder will understand your unique needs and vision, let you participate in the design and building process, and craft a well-built home within the budget you’ve set out. You should shop for your custom home builder just as you would for a new home. Here are some tips to help you choose a reliable builder you can trust!
Make a List of Possible Home Builders in Houston
Once you have thought about the type of house you want, you can create a list of potential builders.
- Contact your local home builders’ association to obtain a list of builders who construct homes in your area.
- Look in the real estate section of your local newspaper for builders and projects. Looking through the ads and reading the articles can help you to learn which builders are active in your area, the types of homes they are building and the prices you can expect to pay. Make a list of builders who build the type of home you’re looking for in your price range.
- Local real estate agents may also be able to help you in your search.
- Ask friends and relatives for recommendations. Ask about builders they have dealt with directly, or ask them for names of acquaintances who have recently had a good experience with a builder.
Do Your Homework
When you have a list of potential home builders in the Houston Area, it’s time to ask lots of questions — of both the potential builders and the owners of their homes.
- Interview potential home builders to get the answers to your questions. Here is a list of questions to ask builders.
- Then, visit a builder’s recently built homes. Drive by on a Saturday morning when homeowners may be outside doing chores or errands. Introduce yourself and say you are considering buying a home from the builder who built their home. Talk to several owners, and try to get a random sample of opinions. The more people you talk with, the more accurate an impression of a builder you will likely get.
- Some questions to ask homeowners include: Are you happy with your home? If you had any problems, were they fixed promptly and properly? Would you buy another home from this builder?
- Usually, people tell you if they are pleased with their homes. And if they are not, they’ll probably want to tell you why.
- At the very least, drive by and see if the homes are visually appealing.
- When you talk to builders and homeowners, take along a notebook to record the information you find and your personal impressions about specific builders and homes. Doing so will help you to make comparisons later.
Shop for Quality and Value
Look at new homes whenever you can. Home shows, and open houses sponsored by builders are good opportunities to look at homes. Model homes and houses displayed in home shows are often furnished to give you ideas for using the space. You may also ask a builder to see unfurnished homes.
When examining a home, look at the quality of the construction features. Inspect the quality of the cabinetry, carpeting, trim work, and paint. Ask the builder or the builder’s representative a lot of questions. Get as many specifics as possible if you receive the answers verbally rather than in writing, and take notes. Never hesitate to ask a question. What seems like an insignificant question might yield an important answer.